Seaford Blue Plaques
Seaford has probably been occupied since neolithic times, but no buildings exist to tell the story of these early occupants. A hoard of hand axes (housed in the Martello Museum) has been found in the upper part of the High Street and flint workings have been found in Steyne Road. The top of the head, once the site of an iron age hill fort and later Roman occupation has been largely lost to the sea, but provide some evidence of occupation of Seaford some 2000 years ago.
Roman settlements and a Roman Cemetery at Seaford Head, Saxon occupation is evidenced by a barrows and tumuli. Bishopstone's St Andrews Church is saxon in date, and archeaology has revealed a medieval town centre to the south and east of St. Leonards Church. The Crypt is a medieval mechant's home. Seaford has been a cinque port and a "rotten borough".
History is of course about buildings and also their occupants and this has been recognised by a small group dedicated to researching Seaford in order that the buildings we still have today can tell a story about what went on here and who played a part in the history of the town and the nation.
In "Treasurer Chest - A Seaford Anthology compiled by Diana Crook (available in the Museum) references to St. Lewinna, King John, the Duke of Wellington, Alfred Lord Tennyson, General Gordon have connections with Seaford. As a rotten borough the electors of Seaford voted for William Pitt the Elder and George Canning both to be Prime Ministers. Clementine Hosier (later Clementine Churchill) resided here and the once numerous boarding schools have taught many a famous name. We also have local residents who played a part in the history of the town. A plaque on the site of the old Empire Cinema in Sutton Road) remembers a local fireman who lost his life when it burnt down in 1939. Dr Pringle Morgan lived at Hurdis House in the Broad Street. Dr Pringle Morgan identified and described congengital word blindness for the first time, later known as dyslexia.
We have had our war heroes too, so perhaps it is fitting that the first blue plaques to be erected in Seaford is to the military, commemorating the centenary of the formation of the British West Indies Regiment in 1915.