Just a few yards from Parliament Row, this row of four terraced houses was purpose built in about 1840 on what was then the southern edge of town in order to satisfy the demand for accommodation that the then New Inn, (now The Wellington), could not satisfy. Seaford developers had long aspired to create an element of grandeur as found in neighbouring Brighton hence the creation of the delightful verandas which survive to this day. Its most famous resident was the very famous Victorian author and poet George Meredith who succeeded Lord Tennyson as president of the Society of Authors. "Modern Love" and the "Lark Ascending" were two of his most famous poems but he was considered to be a major author in his day and about twenty of his books were published.
Next: Just walk across Church Street to the Wellington
Marine Terrace today