Passing in from the site of the Eversley Hotel, now a modern retirement home, the view westward shows Marine Parade rising up slightly. However the exercise path continues level onto Bonningstedt Promenade. Hopefuly there will not be as much shingle covering your way.
Bonningstedt Promenade was so named in 1993 in celebration of the twinning of Seaford with the town of Bonningstedt in Schleswig Holstein in northern Germany since 1984. A plaque on the wall of the central section of the Boulevard commerates the twinning. the Following the unification of Germany, Bonningsted twinned with the former east German town of Crivitz in 1991. Bonningstedt now has a road called Seafordkehre and both towns have a red telephone box presented by the people of Seaford. More information about the Seaford Twinning Association see the STA website. The adjacent plaque commemorates the encampment of the 36th (Ulster) Division prior to the deployment to the battlefields of northern France in 1915.
Above the promenade on the small hill, once known as Blatchington Down, was the site of an extensive barracks. Building commenced in 1794 with a creation of a ten cannon battery. The first militia units had to live under canvas at first. The Wiltshire Militia lost its tents in a gale one night. Other militia from Somerset and Oxford were also posted here, before a cookhouse, hospital or proper roads were constructed. The men were poorly paid, had to buy and cook their own food and were allegedly overcharged by the Seaford shopkeepers who supplied sub standard food. Men were starving, many were ill and they were expected to march to and from their trainng ground in Brighton. As a result the men of the Oxford Militia mutinied. A fuller account if this story can be read in John Odam's "The Seaford Story" on sale in the Museum.
This part of the promenade used to have beachhuts set into the wall under the adjacent roadway, but severe damage caused by the westerly gales that not infrequently arrive from Alantic, funneled up the English Channel have resulted in their loss when repair work took place. In 2017 the Town Council built new beach huts on the site as part of the Seafront improvements.
Continuing along the Promenade beneath the roadway to the junction with Claremont Road